AJ’s Getaway RV Park: FAQ’s
- We are located at 3537 Buckskin Rd, Overgaard, AZ 85933. We are located on the 277 Highway, ½ mile East of the 260 Hwy.
- We have 43 Campspots with sites 8/9, 34/35, being a 2 RV Buddy Site. Sites 27/28/29, 30/31/32, and 36/37/38 are 3 RV Buddy Sites.
- We offer the largest campsites of any privately owned Campground on the Mountain! We have full hookups with picnic tables, fire pits, event stage area, and a recreation area for scheduled activities.
- We have 100’s of miles of off-road trails, events throughout the Year at Tall Timbers Park, local bands playing throughout town, lakes for fishing, hiking trails, antique and thrift shops, Mom and Pop restaurants, hunting (when in season) star gazing and wildlife throughout town!
- We do not offer tent or dry camping.
- YES- you can camp together. We offer buddy sites or you can rent our whole campground for a private event. Call us if we can help schedule your event.
- No we do not have a Dump here.
- If a reservation is cancelled more than 2 weeks prior to the arrival date we issue a full refund, minus the non-refundable $25 transaction fee; or Camp Credit in the full amount can be elected. For a cancellation of a reservation more than 1 week, but less than 2 weeks, prior to the arrival date we issue Camp Credit for 50% of the payment and the balance is forfeited. For a reservation cancelled less than 1 week prior to the arrival date, the full amount of the reservation payment is forfeited. Camp Credit can only be redeemed in the same calendar year as the cancelled reservation and can only be applied toward your site rental. For reservations paid with a credit card, refunds will be credited to the credit card on file with respect to reservation.
- Our check-in time is from 1:00 pm to 7:00 pm daily. If you are unable to arrive by 7 pm due to Emergency, you MUST call us before 7 pm. We will not have you arrive when it’s dark outside unless it is an Emergency. We have a Dark Sky Guidelines here and it is not lit up for you to set up in the dark.
- Checkout time is no later than 11:00 am.
- We do not have public bathrooms or showers at this time. You MUST have fully functional bathrooms in your RV to camp here.
- We do not rent ATV/OHV here on site. We can recommend you to: Mary Maude’s Country Store as they rent Polaris Rangers there. 928-358-3965
- We do allow for you to bring in 2, Non-Aggressive dogs
- We have an area in the back of the property to play games, throw a football, potato sack races, etc. We have the Campers App in which you can download and have interactive games for the kids to play as well!
- We do not sell food on site YET. We will have Food Trucks come in Occasionally and that will be posted on our Events Page.
- Yes you can have Campfires in your fire pit as long as it a BURN day. You must call the burn line @ 928-535-6709 anytime you are thinking about having a wood burning campfire. We will have No Burn days and, on these days, you can only use a propane fire ring as long as it is being monitored and turned off before you turn in for the night. We will have these as a nightly rental option for you as well.
- At this time, we do not sell propane on site. You can purchase from Chevron or Ace Hardware.
- Yes- we have picnic tables and fire pits at each site.
- No- we do not allow tents in our Campground.
- We do have Internet here. We are in the Beta Phase with Starlink, so still bring your jet packs just in case!
- We will occasionally have themed weekends. Check our Events page to see what themes we will have throughout the year!
- You may bring 1 extra vehicle besides your RV. We allow for up to 4 OHV per site.
- Black Canyon Lake is about 20 minutes away from us. Like all Mogollon Rim Area Lakes, Black Canyon Lake is scenically forested. Although the surrounding forest was adversely effected by the 2002 Rodeo-Chediski Fire and some trees around the lake were charred, a sizeable portion of the lake is lushly forested. Because of the danger of falling trees damaged by the 2002 fire, the entire area around the lake is limited to day use only until further notice. Check with the Arizona Game and Fish Department for future changes. The lake sits at an elevation of about 7,000 feet in the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests about 15 miles southwest of Heber-Overgaard, Arizona.
Lake Size. The lake’s water surface is 78 acres with an average depth of 35 feet and a maximum depth of 60 feet.
Fish Variety. Primarily Rainbow Trout with some illegally introduced Largemouth Bass and Green Sunfish. Varying sizes of rainbow trout are stocked in the spring and early summer.
Fishing. The best way to catch the larger trout is fly fishing from a boat or float tube. Good surface bites are reported in the evening with dry flies. Trolling early and late in the day can produce larger trout. Try nightcrawlers off the lakes bottom. Children will have fun catching green sunfish with bobbers and nightcrawlers. Fishing licenses with a a trout stamp is required for all anglers 14 years and above. The daily bag limit is six trout, six bass and unlimited sunfish or three trout for unlicensed anglers under the age of 14.
Boating. Launching Area, 10HP Single or Less
Directions. Take Highway 260 southwest of Heber-Overgaard to Forest Road 300. Go south on 300 for about 2.4 miles. Turn east (left) on Forest Road 86 about 3 miles to the lake turnoff. If you are driving from Payson, take Highway 260 northeast and follow same directions.